Friday, March 30, 2018

So Much Changes....so much stays the same....

Since our move over to Pender Island we've been busy getting our home organized for full time living, trips back to the "city" plus planning for the next few months.

One of the tasks I've enjoyed, even if it sounds a little strange,  is to get up in the cold mornings and get a fire lit in the wood stove, make a pot of coffee and enjoy the warmth moving through the house. Our routine has changed so much with my DH being retired and there's not as much rush to be at certain places with certain deadlines....I've been enjoying that part so much!
My studio is mere footsteps away, so easy to pop in for a minute or two or work but also easy to be distracted! However, thankfully there are deadlines and I was able to complete this piece over the past couple weeks. Its one of my largest at 44" x 62", part of my "Industrial Shoreline" series and destined for a group show in June. 
 
Retired to Rust

Maybe you're thinking that I'm incredibly well organized to have all my work ready so far ahead of a deadline....well, there's a good reason!

Hang on...its a long story!

Tomorrow I leave my (new) home to celebrate Easter with family in Victoria. On Sunday I travel to Vancouver and stay with family until Tuesday when I fly to London UK to stay with family (very short visit)....until Wednesday. On Thursday I fly to Madrid and then to Pamplona (Spain), overnight in Pamplona then on Friday I take a bus to Roncesvalles so that on Saturday (one week after leaving home) I can begin my pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela that will take me 6 weeks and 800 kilometers to walk.

....my bags are packed and I'm ready to go.....
The tube carries my trekking poles as I can't carry them on the flights, they'll be in the checked baggage

I should say that my "backpack" is packed, a mere 14 lbs. to last me through 3 months of travel (I'm planning on more travel once I'm finished in Spain) I guess I could say that I missed the "backpacking through Europe when I was a teenager, so now it's time"! But now we have lists...Google with far too much information and Youtube to explain endlessly all the items we need for our travels!
My route is the red line across northern Spain
 I'm excited, but also a little nervous. Happy and a little fearful...all natural feelings I know. My art practise will change, my supplies are very limited but that should never be an excuse! A small sketch book, a little watercolour set, a pencil and tiny eraser, a water brush and my iPhone with a good camera. What else do I need, right? and its all about keeping it lightweight, LOL!

In case you've not heard about the Camino, here are a couple links that you might find useful:

https://www.caminosantiagodecompostela.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago

So....I'm off then! See you soon! If you'd like to follow my journey, I'll be posting on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/Susan-Purney-Mark-141959029220043/?ref=bookmarks







1 comment:

Margaret said...

Blessings for your journey, Susan! From what I've come to understand through reading, you'll find it will change you in ways large and small, obvious and subtle. Don't forget the Vaseline for your feet!