Thursday, February 28, 2019

Tome, Tome, Tome

Have you ever worked on a project and reached a "sweet spot" almost by accident? When the piece turned out even better than you expected? Or maybe it was just a little remnant that you almost ignored and it became THE one?
I was practising  with some cotton organdie - thinking that these were definitely PRACTISE pieces and that I'd continue on with the 'good" stuff in a bit.....
and WOW ! I love that fabric! It is crisp, yet has a gentle drape without being stiff - mind you, its the good quality organdie - not the cheap stuff and so hard to find....I had bought a metre a while back and now that's its almost gone, I'm starting to panic if there's no more at my favourite store...

I tore the fabric into strips and began with some mark making - using Dye Na Flow paints - they don't change the hand of the fabric and are easy to dilute and can be heat set - perfect for this work. I also added some finer lines with gel pens - a little asemic writing!

I folded the strip, intending to press the folds flat into pages as you might find in a book, but stopped myself in time and fell in love with the gentle folds. I set up the table with a paper drape and take what I like to call my "glamour" shots -




The next strip I tore from the opposite end of the fabric and because it wasn't cut straight off the bolt, ended up with a long triangle - not one to waste, I folded it lengthwise and dipped the fold into Old Brass Dye Na Flow and let it dry in place. I then folded it up and stitched down the centre.....



I love the centre line where the fold was and think one of the best qualities is the way I can manipulate the curves of the book and move it into slight variations....

The third tome is  slight variation on the other two - it hasn't been stitch down yet, one corner of folds is held together by a small clip - I'm not certain how I'll manipulate it yet but I also like the "rosette" quality of the middle photo. I'd also like to add some stitching, perhaps in a fine black thread. the nice part of the series, even though they are so simple and basic - there's endless variations.....




So, there we go...more ideas for consideration in my Iceland Narrative - BTW, have you signed up yet? Just hit the top right button on the side bar and see what awaits you....

No comments: