Wednesday, December 11, 2019

HouseMade Cards - a tutorial

Since we've been home I've had a hard time settling on a long term BIG project...maybe because there's been lots  to do before Christmas - shopping, baking, errand etc. I'm excitedly looking forward to  January and staying in one place for a while! Because I've been so easily led astray I looked for a smaller project that I could do in spurts that might suit my mood.
So I got out my box of card blanks and set up a little workspace to make more of my HouseMade Cards.....




For this project you'll need the following:
  •  a box of card blanks - I use Strathmore Creative Card blanks with a deckle edge, they come in cream and white and in boxes of 10, 25 or larger if you get really enthusiastic! You might find some other kinds
  • a small 6" ruler. I can't find my metal ruler with a cork backing (the cork keeps it from slipping) so I've been using an Omnigrid ruler
  • an art knife with #11 blade. A few years ago I bought a box of 100 blades, best investment ever!!!! as a sharp blade is essential and I put new ones in as soon as the old one seems a bit dull
  • pencil - mechanical or whatever you have
  • a white eraser
  • a couple Pigma or fine tip permanent markers
  • a little watercolour set with brush or watercolour pencils such as Derwent.

Mark the placement of the roof, windows and doors:
  1. On the inside of the card front, using a ruler with light pencil lines, mark the placement of the roof and chimney first.
  2. Then draw the windows, try different styles, sizes and arrangements and layouts. I find that two different groups of windows work best for balance, sometimes beside one another or on top or below. Its fun to experiment and you'll find that one idea leads to the next and so on....

Cut out the roof and windows

Use the art knife and ruler to follow your marked lines. Cut slowly and watch carefully where you want to stop and start. Once you've finished cutting, use the white eraser...gently...to remove the pencil lines.

 

Turn the card over and using the fine tip marker, add details to outline and emphasize the roof, chimney and windows. Add some brick work, cracks, and details as desired. If you have a planned recipient, add their house number or other particulars. Have fun and be creative!


Add Colour

Keep the intensity quite pale and add colour with watercolour paints or with pencils. My approach is relaxed and a bit rough but you might prefer a little more control. You could also add ivy, flowers or bushes!
Once finished and dry, I put a label on the back and slip the card with the envelope into a plastic protective sleeve. Now it's ready to give to a special friend!


One more idea -  use a little battery light and put the card onto the mantle for Christmas.... These cards were made for my Etsy Shop but I couldn't photograph them properly...that task is planned for the new year, learning to take the best photos possible!


3 comments:

Kathy said...

These are just delightful! Just right for working on in small bits of time...and I think they would make a lovely little city in fabric, too. You are truly a creative down to your soul.

Faith Varrone said...

Oh, what fun! I love making cards! Thank you for providing the instructions. ❤️
Wishing you and your family the best of the season!

Lynda said...

Susan, These are so cute!! Thanks for the tutorial and the inspiration.