Friday, January 21, 2022

Week 6 - In the Studio...Time Flies!

In the past, every time I would try to write a blog post, it became a struggle to come up with something to share....now it's more like having a chat with a friend - YOU! I am grateful for you in my life, many thanks!

So what was this week like? A couple days in the city cut into my creative time quite a bit. But there's a story here: when we packed up our household and moved full time in a much smaller house, our intention was to stay 3 or 4 years and then move back to Victoria. So we packed things up  as though that was going to happen - the "good" stuff went into storage and we took the "essentials" plus a bit more. Now we can't see ourselves moving back to the city - we love, love, love small island life! But....what do we do with the stuff in storage? It was time to go through it all - did I mention the "stuff" is stored in our daughters basement? And she lives in our Victoria house?

So boxes were unpacked and sorted, some stuff is being sold, some donated and some given to kids (yes, you do want THIS!) and some is coming back to our small island and crammed into our small house! So that's the story!

In the studio - where the fun happens:


I dyed some fabric with black using my Shibori Shiraz technique, I wanted good contrast as I hope to make a thermofax design (the lower image) I still need to tweak it a bit...


I'd like to use maps as a theme for an upcoming so I used a road atlas as inspiration for some sketches on newsprint. I worked out three different designs of roads and trails in BC.

The facings are finished and the beauty shots are taken! Introducing:  Loading on the North Shore! My latest piece in the Industrial Shoreline series! It measures 41" x 58" and its the first time I used Thermore as the batting, so much easier to use. I'll be posting this on my Gallery page and inventory list this weekend.

I've also finally, finally, finally filmed my latest YouTube video - demonstrating my Shibori Shiraz technique,  I'll edit and post it next week, but this has been a huge step for me, just a lot of procrastination!!!

Also a bit of Colour on Ice dyeing, a couple Zoom meetings and now it's time to open a bottle and add to my Shiraz collection for Shibori! How about you?



1 comment:

Anni Hunt said...

I love your Loading on the North Shore Quilt! It is such a clever use of the fabrics. Who would have thought?
Well you of course!

Can't wait to see your latest 'Map' series. I have always wanted to incorporate maps into my work, as I really love them. I'm sure you will give me the inspiration I need.
Anni