Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Little Experiment




I've been waniting to try this for a while, ever since I read about it in the the thr3Fold Journals from the Kemshalls and Catherine Nicholls. http://www.thr3foldjounral.com/ I made a little quilt sandwich with some fabric I had dyed and stitched a wavy quilting design through it. I used cotton variegated thread.


I then painted discharge paste with a brush (I tried a roller but it was too uneven). I let it dry and then steamed and ironed it thoroughly. I wear a respirator for this as its so stinky.


Its definitely a very cool thing to play with and I have lots of plans to make more. The best part is that it took very little time to make a sample. Love it! The top one is the discharged piece.

4 comments:

Rayna said...

Yummy piece! I find thiox paste I make myself to be way less toxic smelling than discharge paste. I'm on to read some earlier posts...

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

I've been playing with almost the same technique, but I sure didn't get the crisp lines you did. I was using a very soft muslin--maybe I need a fabric with a higher thread count. I'm also thinking that a fluffier polyester batt, rather than Warm'n'Natural. Nice to know someone else is as weird as I am.
Pat f in Winnipeg

Janet Rice-Bredin said...

Susan your discharged piece looks like a Complex Cloth version of reflections in water. I have often wondered how to interpret watery ripples and reflections into cloth, and I think your technique is perfect. Good job!

Margaret Cooter said...

Thanks for showing this - it opens up whole new vistas of possibilities!