Saturday, July 26, 2014

Patio Art and Making Beauty

I often work at finding beauty in something that others might pass by, but I know that with a little work and ingenuity its possible to give an object new life.
The cloths on my print tables need to be replaced every 3-4 months, they get stained from printing and dyeing and I love the ghost images and colour that are left on these cloths. This one came off the table a couple days ago and I painted some magenta/purple dye over it to partially cover the white areas.

I had a PLAN! I screen printed some images over the top. I didnt want the crow to be too dominant so I used a transparent paint. And I wanted some flowers in there so the coneflowers are an ochre colour. The images aren't too strong but I knew once I cut into it they would show up more.....
I had hoped to get two large pictures out of the fabric but settled for a large and a small so I could get the best areas of the fabric. I stapled the fabric to canvas frames and then sprayed an acrylic varnish over them....stinky stuff!
And GUESS where I hung them? Outside, on my deck! I figured if we put art on the walls inside the house, why not put art on the outside? DH gets a little twitchy putting nails into walls so I did it while he was at work......
A couple things I learned.....the pictures are light so in a strong wind like we had last night, they blow off the wall. Going to fix that! Also, these are not precious, so if they fade or get stained, I'll make new ones....What art did you make this week?


6 comments:

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

The answer is self stick Velcro and a few staples.
I have a large 49 x49 piece on my lanai wall and it has stood hurricane winds.

Thread Born said...

Hi Susan- I've been gathering my "wipe up" cloths and the cloths I put under pieces while painting. This is a fabulous idea and finished presentation! Love that you hung them outside.-Julie

amie said...

These are gorgeous! Do you always use acrylic spray, or did you only use it because you were hanging them outside?

Susan Purney Mark said...

Kay, thanks for the idea. I'll work something out. I have some of the 3M strips that might work!

Susan Purney Mark said...

Amie,
I've never used the acrylic spray before, I thought it might water proof them a bit. I'll see how they last, I might have been better to use a UV spray. And I think I'll take them in during the winter.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I am going to try this for under my glass table.