Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gingko Leaves


We're lucky enough to live in an area where we have lots of gingko trees, although they are not a native species. I've put a few into my copier, set the image to enlarge a few times and then did some line drawings of the leaves.

I cut the leaves out and arranged them into a design. Using my Give and Take Applique technique I traced that onto two pieces of fusible web.

I fused the web onto two pieces of dark fabric and cut out the leaf shapes. Then I had positive and a negative shapes. I've fused all the shapes onto light background squares.

I sewed the squares together and voila....a nifty little block.

I'll be teaching this technique in Nashville in August where students learn there are so many design options that are possible with Give and Take Applique!

1 comment:

Janet Rice-Bredin said...

Very nice block arrangement Susan - it has so much movement!