Friday, September 11, 2009

More Indigo!!

Another day playing with the indigo buckets...when I arrived the one from yesterday was pretty well exhausted, we had pumped a LOT of fabric through, probably 8-10 yards of it. So we made a fresh bucket and started again.
You can see in this picture that the fabric is yellow/green under the bath but when exposed to the air, gradually oxidizes and turns those wonderful blues.

In these three pictures you can really see the change. The pictures were taken about 45 seconds apart.



I also dyed some lace, linen and threads for my textile packs.

And some silk and cotton yarn. I'm thinking of knitting a lacey wrap or shawl.

I can certainly see why people describe indigo as living or having personality! I've become a convert and hope to play in the dyepot a lot in the very near future! I have a friend who grows her own indigo, maybe its time to visit her garden!
So Michele, what do you think! Send me an email and we can do a deal!

2 comments:

Robin in WNC said...

Wonderful blue results. I would love to learn how to do this !

Yvonne said...

Thanks for showing the colour change - how interesting! Looks like you made the most of this workshop and got some great pieces - hope to see some of them.