Saturday, May 21, 2011

Scissor Ramblings......

I'm in the midst of packing for a teaching trip and as I reached for my sewing kit and tucked my scissors in to it, I wondered what you like to use for scissors? How many pairs do you have, what sizes, how often do you have them sharpened and do you have any special "couldn't be without them" kinds?

I have a large pair of dressmaking shears that were my mothers and I love them partly because they were hers and partly because they stay sharp for ages. I dont use them much but I'd be lost without them.

The second pair I have are actually "pizza" scissors.....yes, you read right! They live in my kitchen and they are perfect for cutting pizza instead of a traditional wheel. If you are wondering what they look like:

Progressive Pizza Scissors
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/product.asp?sku=14323090&
Maybe you're wondering what to get the guy who has everything?

Seriously though, I do love several small pairs that I keep misplacing and finding again scattered through the house. I use them for thread and small snipping jobs. And I always have a pair next to me at the sewing machine.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I keep an industrial pair of scissors in my utensil drawer, and I swear those scissors get the most use of anything in the house=)

I have 2 pairs of scissors that sit on my cutting table and one by my sewing machine.

Gisela Towner said...

Hmmm...I started counting and I'm almost embarrassed at how many pair of scissors I have!

Seven pairs on the sewing table (fabric only!), another five tiny pairs next to the machine that I use for embroidery, a couple in the dye studio, a couple on the jewelry bench, three more in my knitting bags and one in the kitchen, each bathroom, the bedroom, the laundry room, hubby's woodshop, the potting bench, in my purse and still more in my painting studio.

OMG -- that's ridiculous!

Okay, I think I may have too many scissors, but I do not have pizza scissors...they sound pretty cool.

Lani Longshore said...

Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loses scissors! I have three pair for snipping thread because they are always hiding under the piles on the sewing table.