Tuesday, November 19, 2013

New Work for the Oak Bay Artist Studio Tour!

I've been busy working towards my first Artist Studio Tour, finishing pieces, quilting, dyeing, mounting work on canvas and much, much more! It has been fun and creative work, but my main problem is that I'm not sure how much work to produce? I'm hoping to sell lots and have some pieces in reserve to put on the walls as others sell.....but how much?
Maybe you can give me some advice!

This is work that I've finished in the last week or so, I'm enjoying mounting them on canvas board, I like the look when they are hanging. What do you think?

So the first piece shows just the base fabric. It was a piece of soy wax resist linen, that I waxed and dyes, then waxed and dyes some more. It took several processes to get the depth of colour I wanted.
Then I traced, fused and cut shapes that echoed the design in the linen. I backed the linen with iron-on fusible interfacing to give it more stability.
Then lots of quilting with multi-coloured poly thread, trimming and mounting on board. I found a good YouTube video for finishing the corners nicely:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccaNqgje5lY

The next piece I made from fabric I had dyed on a wine bottle (more about that in another blog post) then cut, fused and stitched the cardinal tree and berries.
Finally, I used fabric that I had applied soy wax and dye on a pole, after washing, I screen printed the crows on and quilted bird foot prints.




4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I have participated in several Open Studios Tours, and try to have a good selection on hand for customers. Since my inventory is a combination of wearable art and home decor, it makes for an interesting display.
BTW, I love your first piece... very interesting!
Best wishes to you for a successful event!

Judy said...

I love your work and believe you will sell lots!
Just wanted to let you know that I just watched your Soy Wax Insprirations video, and I love all of your ideas! So much inspiration! I can hardly wait to try many of the ideas on the bamboo scarves I make!

Susan Purney Mark said...

Thanks Judy and Judy! I'm in last minute panic mode and getting excited. I'll post pictures when its all set up and beautiful!

Linda’s Textiles said...

Good luck for your open studio!
I'd have as much as you can without putting too much pressure on yourself. You can always sell them later if not at the event.
The pieces shown look great.
I also bought & enjoyed your soy wax video - well done.