Tuesday, May 26, 2015

#4 in the Series and Self Critique

Here is the last one of my series (I think) and this time I started and finished the design in the horizontal layout. I used a more constrained palette than #3 and certainly far more limiting than #1 and #2. I find it more comfortable now than I did with #3.
Here it is as a cropped image:


Let me begin with the self critique as before:
What works well in this piece:
  • a more clearly defined  orientation
  • there is a strong horizontal feeling but with some good vertical interest
  • the diagonally designed fabric provides a visual break
Now, what doesn't work so well:
  •  the two segments on the top don't have much relationship to the rest of the work
  • solid grey chunks will need stitch, they appear rather flat
I tried it rotated and found it more appealing. The two segments seemed to ground the piece a bit more. But the vertical dark rectangle sort of stuck out!


I tried putting them as a vertical layout, just to see:


And wouldn't you know it, I really like the one on the right....darn!
So, here's what I'm going to do....
For all four pieces, I'm going to correct the errors that I've mentioned before. There will be a little unpicking and replacing... and quite a bit of trimming. The first two will lose an inch or two on all sides.
I'll quilt and bind them all. Then mount them onto artist canvas. I'll probably use this method that I found online: http://heatherdubreuil.blogspot.ca/2014/01/mounting-art-quilt-onto-stretched-canvas.html
This method seems a good compromise as the quilt is always fastened to the felt, not to the board itself.

So what have I learned?
  • I like the repetition of working in a series, its a chance to repeat the good and eliminate the *&^$#!
  • working with a tight palette can be quite refreshing
  • the 12" x 24" size is good for experimentation
  • go with the flow and let yourself be led, don't try to be the one in charge....
  • don't get too emotional about the work, 
  • your camera is your friend
  • looking at the piece on the monitor helps for analysis and critique
So thats it.......for now!






























No comments: