Sunday, February 27, 2022

Week 11 - in the Studio

 More steps forward and a couple of surprises! I had a bit of a "little plan making" as one of the challenges is having too many projects on the go at any time and going down some rabbit holes any time they appear!

So I've made a list of "Focus on Four"....I am limiting myself to a total of four projects at any one time. Once I finish one, I can move onto another - but no more than four....let's see how it goes!

Project One Update:


I am quilting the most recent Industrial Shoreline piece, it's not my favourite part of the process, so taking it in small chunks...but I had a little mishap along the way - did you ever see a needle bend this this? No injuries were inflicted...

Project Two:

I'm continuing to work carefully and thoughtfully on my vintage paper pieces...in January I bought a Brother Scan n Cut and it stayed in the box until last week. I finally figured out some images I wanted to design and cut - 

Do I have enough? I had one particular design that I felt worked well on the paper pieces, nothing is glued down yet as I audition placement and repetition.




This will continue to evolve as I work on placement, additions and subtractions....and then learning how best to frame and display.

Project Three:

I admit to a bit of a sideways movement in my focus (but it counts as 1/4)  I pulled out some black paper and interference paints - making some marks and then monoprinting with the papers... loved the sheen of the colours and after taking pictures I set them up in an app. It was a fun distraction....






Isn't this cool?


These are the paints I used.

Project Four:

Not so much a project as a way to develop/discover/create an image to use in my vintage paper series...its about hand and brain connection and practising a movement to use. A simple "swoop" doesn't just happen - so heres a video showing the marks I made in the sketchbook to get to that point. Just click on the link below....


Not a Project - just a cool photo of a rock formation:


So that was my week - how about yours?

5 comments:

Linda S said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda S said...

What a great idea to limit the WIP! I may need to “borrow” your idea. Loving your work and the interference paints. Staying tuned to see where this all leads.

Susan Purney Mark said...

Linda, I think it's a way of getting things finished and not going after every sparkly thing....perhaps we have an "art version" of ADD...

Jody said...

I have had to limit WIP's to 2. Which is likely actually 6.

Since my concussion I get overwhelmed very easily and then nothing happens. So I am currently allowing myself to work on 2 projects: Rhododendron Trail Mystery Quilt by Bonnie Hunter is my relaxing one (because all I have to do is read, understand and follow the instructions, because of brain this is not as easy as it might sound), just finishing up a quilt that I designed for "Quilts for Survivors" for a recipient that I know personally. That has been a labor of love, now contemplating how I want to dye the fabric for the back, and the colors I will use. I have 2 more of those I want to complete shortly, but this first one was the challenge and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next up for me, Unpacking my Brother Scan n' Cut: reading that you found it easy to learn may motivate me to do that sooner rather than later ;-)

Susan Purney Mark said...

Jody, its good to know and understand how ones works best, especially when we can get so excited about the new and different! I found the YouTube videos by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer to be particularly good and easy to follow.