Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Week 26 - in the Studio

We've had a couple of scattered weeks in the last part of August - lots of family times with a trip to Manitoba and a lovely drive home. 

During our time in Winnipeg, our tour guide took us to a residential area where the garage doors and fences in the back alley are painted with a variety of Arctic animals. The artist is Kal Barteski, she describes herself as an urban artist, check out her great website at: https://www.kalbarteski.com

It was a beautiful time of year to travel and the changing landscape through the prairies and mountains was delightful. Even though we live with mountains and tall trees, it's wonderful to enjoy the wide expanse of sky!


I found a pile of old metal beside the railway track....had to bring some home, there might be some rust
ing fabric in the future!


We saw the worlds largest truck (formerly) in Sparwood, BC, its called a Titan with good reason! There's more information here: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/formerly-the-world-s-biggest-truck 
That's me in front of the wheel!


And then returning home, I hit the ground running to prepare for an art show over the past long weekend. I had most of the work already finished but one piece had bothered me for some time. It was "square-ish" at 45" x 50" and it seemed an awkward size.
So I took a photo and cut the image up, trying for at least three pieces. 


So the piece went from this:



Into this and this:


There's one more piece that I didn't get a chance to finish but that will be done in a bit. I am much happier with the results and realize that if I'm not happy with a piece then I have nothing to lose to try a new approach. 
Have you ever cut something up and did it work for you?


I also got some screen printing done today...

And some new things are brewing at the studio...I'll be "on the road" soon, so stay tuned to find out where my studio will be next week!



No comments: