Sunday, May 10, 2009

Hawaii Quilt Cruise

I'm back from Hawaii and almost unpacked! Just got to find those gifts I bought, they're around somewhere. But I did find the fabric!
I had hoped to post pictures on a regular basis but it was very expensive to use the interent on the ship and often it just didn't work, especially in the middle of the Pacific coming back to Vancouver. So I have a few pictures of the trip that I'll post over the next few days. Places of interest or sights that moved me.
We spent some time at the Byodo-in Buddhist Emple, just outside Honolulu.

This beautiful Buddhist temple is a replica of the 900-year-old Byodo-In located in Uji, Japan. It is located in one of the most peaceful locations in O'ahu - the Valley of the Temples. The valley is situated against a back-drop of tall cliffs and is landscaped with traditional lush Japanese gardens and koi ponds.


The koi were numerous and huge....each about 10 pounds..... the picture isn't that good but I did like the interesting patterns made by the raindrops and the koi coming up to feed. I think it might make an interesting design.

The sweeping curves of the roofs and the contrast of colours is exciting as well, lots of things to look at, including the bark of an old tree, can't you just see it in fabric or paper collage!

1 comment:

bronwen said...

Welcome home. Missed you! Looking forward to seeing you next weekend and Dad this weekend!